During the 2022 elections Labour retained control of the council. Tameside MBC is comprised of 57 elected members, 48 representing the Labour Party, 8 representing the Conservative Party and 1 representing the Green Party. The Executive Leader of the council is Cllr Gerald (Ged) Cooney.
Tameside is currently covered by three Labour constituencies: Ashton-under-Lyne – Angela Rayner (crosses into Oldham), Denton and Reddish – Andrew Gwynne (crosses into Stockport area) and Stalybridge and Hyde – Jonathan Reynolds.
The Borough of Tameside lies to the East of Greater Manchester, stretching eastwards from the urban hub of Manchester to the moors of the Peak District. Tameside shares borders with Oldham, Manchester, Stockport and the Derbyshire Borough of High Peak. Tameside is well connected to the region and beyond by the M60 and M67 motorways and quality rail links to Manchester and Yorkshire.
- Tameside has a total estimated population of 226,493
- There are 101,330 dwellings on the valuation list in Tameside.
- Of the 141 areas in Tameside, 11 of these fall within the most deprived 5% nationally and a further 18 fall within the most deprived 10% nationally. In total, 13.4% of Tameside residents live in income-deprived households.
- In March 2019, 3.9% of working age residents in Tameside claimed benefits
- 64% of pupils (58% of boys and 70% of girls) met the expected standard in reading, writing and maths at Key Stage 2 in 2018 compared to 64% nationally (61% of boys and 69% of girls)
- 62.1% of school children (59.4% of boys and 64.9% of girls) in Tameside achieved a standard 9-4 pass in English and Maths at GCSE level in 2018 compared to 59.4% nationally (55.5% of boys and 63.7% of girls)
- Life expectancy at birth is currently 81.1 years for females and 77.5 years for males in Tameside.
Further Demographics, Census information, Schools Data and Labour Market Statistics can be found on the Tameside’s Demographic Information webpage
|Director of Resources – Stage||Date|
|Closing date||Monday 24 October|
|Technical (First) Interview||15 +16 November in Manchester CC.|
|Assessment session and Final Panel interview.||Monday 12 December|