Role appointed to
Newcastle City Council – Chief Operational Officer (£90 – 95k)
This role has been created to bring a step-change in our customer focus, quality of service and internal culture. We want to embrace the best and most appropriate service models to make us fit for the future and best serve the city.
Overseeing approximately 2150 (FTE) staff, a net budget of 7.294 m services covered include:
- Street Services (Refuse, Cleansing and Grounds Maintenance)
- Parking Services
- Waste Contracts
- Building Maintenance & Commercial Works
- Civic Management and Facility Services
- Markets and Community Hubs
- Library Services.
The services have one unifying theme – they all provide highly visible services to our people, our communities and our businesses. Leading such a breadth of services, the COO will have:
- Led relevant, highly customer focussed services
- Driven successful culture change in a highly political environment
- Modernised relevant services, having improved efficiency and quality
- Engaged communities, businesses, politicians and staff to shape change
- A deep understanding of alternative delivery models
- Resilience, credibility and judgement
The COO will bring these diverse services together into a cohesive whole; sharing best practice, innovating, empowering staff, working with key partners and bringing the flexible, nimble and positive culture to create confidence about the future. This will be a tough role. There will be misgivings and doubts along the way. But there will also be support, passion, pride and talent on which to build positive change.